AACN believes acute and critical care nurses deserve recognition for all that they do every day for patients, families and our profession. That’s why we honor and support our members through programs such as the Circle of Excellence.
AACN’s awards program is highly regarded for its responsiveness to current trends in the nursing profession and in the environments where nurses work. In order to maintain the high-caliber program aligned with AACN’s mission and vision, the program focuses on excellence and innovation through standardized award criteria for all Circle of Excellence awards.
Up to 25 individuals who exemplify excellence in the care of acutely and critically ill patients and their families will be chosen annually for a Circle of Excellence award.
Nominees for a Circle of Excellence Award must hold active AACN membership and be nominated by a colleague, who must also hold active AACN membership. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
The nurse-to-nurse nomination process provides acute and critical care nurses an opportunity to participate in meaningful recognition of their peers and colleagues by nominating them for this prestigious national honor. The nominator and two references must attest to each nominee’s achievements in exemplifying the award criteria.
Nominations for the Circle of Excellence awards open annually in May, and must be received by August 1 (extended to August 15).
Circle of Excellence Criteria
- Relentlessly promotes patient-driven excellence
- Models skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision-making and meaningful recognition
- Transforms thinking, structures and processes to address challenges and remove barriers to advance patient-driven excellence
- Furthers AACN’s mission and key initiatives at influential forums
- Enriches own and other organizations by influencing and mentoring others in achieving excellence
- Achieves visible results that validate the impact of individual leadership contribution to organizational excellence
Nomination and Selection Process
Nominees for a Circle of Excellence award must be nominated by a colleague. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Nominations must be received by August 1 (extended to August 15).
The nominator and two references must attest to each nominee’s achievements in exemplifying the award criteria.
Please refer to the Circle of Excellence general information, guidelines and restrictions.
Notifications of selection are expected by December 31.